Thursday, December 11, 2008

Final project-My Lesson Plan

For my final project in this class I chose to create a curriculum based on African Literture. Since I am hoping to become a teacher after I graduate I based this on the grade I want to teach. My course is geared towards junior AP English students who which to pick up my class as an elective. I had many ideas for this project but my true feelings and concepts came out when I was typing my final draft up.
For this course I have made the class a writing intensive class with a lot of emphasis on current events and common issues. I would like my students to complete two current events a week which would be similar to how we have done blogging in this class. My students would have to write half a page about they read about or learned about and submit it to me, the teacher. My students would also have a paper due a week with an exception of the first week. The papers that they write for this class are all part of the final project I have developed. So in total my students will have written five papers by the end of the semester. I chose four of the five topics: introduction to Africa, a paper on a certain country, a paper on child soldiers which they should tie the books they have read into, a paper on what is being done to help the people of Africa, and then I left the final topic up to my students.
Though there may be a lot of write for this class there will also be other activites for them to enjoy. I have planned to have a guest speaker come in and talk to my class. The speaker I have "lined up" has lived in Africa and wants to discuss with them who it is like to live there, what the housing is like, the crime, and social issues like AIDs awareness. On top of that I will also be taking my students on a field trip to Chicago. Like I mentioned in one of my exploration the Field Museum in Chicago had a large exhibit on Africa. So I planned to take my students there for the day and let them see first had some artifacts and pictures from Africa. My curriculum has many more elements these are just a few that I wanted to share with you. This assignment was a great learning experience and I enjoyed writing it.

1 comment:

Brian Dickerson said...

I share your interest in Africa, but on a more personal level. I've been working there for the last couple of years and have had a chance to see a little of it up close. The work is unlikely to be interesting to you, but I made a few friends and adopted an elementary school there. You might appreciate the narrative and photos at http://sites.google.com/site/buddydferris/.

My daughter has followed a path somewhat like yours. She was a sociology major in undergrad, did volunteer work with the Guatemalan Human Rights Commission and a couple of others in downtown D.C., went back for grad school and now teaches in Baltimore inner city.

Best of luck; have a great Christmas.
Brian