Monday, November 17, 2008

The Bleeding of the Stone




This was my first time reading this book and it has turned into one of my favorites of the semester. I found this novel to be a bit confusing at times with the mixed up timeline and the unusual names. Asouf, the main character, was my favorite character and the life he lead was inspiring.
It was odd to read about Asouf and his family when it's compared to the other readings we have done this semester. Most of the other novels we have read were about the community or showed aspects of it. This novel was more about the individual and ones inner thoughts and turmoil. Asouf and his family lived in the desert and had little to no interaction with other people. This was his fathers belief and doing. From what I understood it seemed that he found this the only way to escape the evils of others. Based on this life of secluction Asouf did not know how to deal with other people and when he did he was to shy to talk. For this is mother called him a girl, it didn't really help the situation.
Another theme I found in this novel was that of biblical thought or comparison. The author Ibrahim Al-Koni could have based this story off of the bible. There are stories or references to things such as the great flood, Cain-the murderous brother of Able, crusifiction, the endless deserts and there were also many biblical quotes. Al-Koni did a spendid job intigrating these examples into his novel. I liked it because it shows us that Christianity has been picked up in Africa and with things such as this novel, it is spreading and being accepted.

1 comment:

darius said...

It is one of my favorites, too. I appreciate the simplicity it maintains while dealing with pretty heavy themes.