Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Waiting for an Angel part 1

This was my first time reading, Waiting for an Angel, and so far I've found it to be disturbing but informative. The writing style threw me off a bit at first with a bit of character confusing and story placement. For those exact reasons this books seems more powerful than it would be if it were written with a single storyline through time. Coming in behind that I find the characters to be the mutually interesting and informative.

Lomba from what i've already witnessed is a man of many stories and great talent. I found the poetry to be very powerful in meaning and are a great way of showing emotion. The part in the first charter where he places an S.O.S. his poetry is a desperate but beautiful way of showing how he knew he wasn't going to escape, "It was just a message in a bottle, thrown without much hope into the sea..."(pg39). The cells here both on a regular day or a day in solitude are a place of hell that for these people inescapable.

In the second chapter, the story of "The Angel," though I do not yet know who the character is; I can't help but dislike him. I did like the story of the fortune teller but the way this character faced death seemed wasteful to me. Yes, he may have felt death coming but he did not have to walk right into it. All I could find in this character is weakness and to much trust in the "beliefs/predictions" of another.




1 comment:

Peter Larr said...

wow that pic on the left looks like a modern day slave ship